My family loves this recipe that was handed down to me through generations of my family. I often bring this to church socials where it a big hit with the young and old alike.
Thank You MaryAnn S. for sharing your family recipe.
Homemade Strawberry Applesauce
- Strawberry Applesauce
- My family used an old cup which was also passed down through the generations to measure below are the closest measurements to the old cup
- 8-9 medium apples
- 1 cup strawberries you can use frozen strawberries if you do not have fresh
- 1 tablespoon + 2-1/3 teaspoons bottled lemon juice...
- ⅓ cup + 3 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup +3 tablespoons white sugar
- Slice apples, Place apples in a large heavy pot. Add water, lemon juice and mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook until apples are soft about 25 to 30 minutes
- Mash strawberries with potato masher and add to apples about 5 minutes before apples are done. Mix well and continue cooking for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Process the apple mixture in a blender until desired consistency (we like ours a little chunky) Return mixture back to the pot and add the sugar to taste. You may not need the entire amount of sugar the recipe calls for depending on how sweet the apples you are using are. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- You can freeze the applesauce or can if you prefer
- Makes 3-4 pints
4 Berry Pie
If you love berries then 4 Berry Pie is the pie for you. This pie just screams SUMMER
- 1 (14-oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 (6-oz.) purchased vanilla wafer pie crust or graham cracker pie crust
- 1 (8 oz.) container frozen whipped topping, defrosted
COMBINE sweetened condensed milk and lemon juice in large bowl. Puree frozen fruit in food processor or chop finely with knife. Blend into milk mixture. Pour filling into crust. Stir whipped topping. Gently spread over filling.
FREEZE 4 hours or until firm. To serve, remove pie from freezer and place in refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes or until pie can be easily cut.
Apple Butter Bread
Apple Butter Bread is go good once you make it it will quickly become a family favorite. My son loves to toast it and spread butter on it.
2 cups self rising flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted butter
6 ounces vanilla yogurt
3/4 cup apple butter
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.Combine eggs, butter, apple butter, yogurt and beat well. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3.Mix well with moist ingredients until all is smooth.
4.Pour in loaf pan and bake for 70 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean
Freebies for Friends
Homemade Apple Bread
Homemade Apple Bread is a family favorite its also a great bake sale item. We love toasting it and spreading it with butter YUMMY!
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup oil
2 apples, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients until well blended. Pour batter into 2 greased loaf pans. Bake for about 1 hour If desired serve warm.