This post may contain affiliate links or sponsored content, read our Disclosure Policy
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- –Chicken Filling:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced thin
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Mix all except melted butter together in mixing bowl until smooth.
- Pour into greased 8-inch square baking pan and bake at 375 degrees F for 20 – 25 minutes until done. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- When cool, crumble cornbread and place 3 cups of cornbread crumbs in mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup melted butter to crumbs and mix well, set aside
- In saucepan on medium low heat, place butter and saute onion and celery until transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salt and pepper. Stir until well blended and soup is dissolved completely.
- Add chicken; stir and blend until mixture reaches a low simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Place chicken mixture in buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole dish or individual casserole dishes (about four ).
- Spoon cornbread crumb topping on top of chicken mixture; do not stir into chicken filling.
- Place baking dish in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35 – 40 minutes. The crumbs will turn a golden yellow